[vlc-devel] STOP! Think. Act... (was Re: Formal complaint?-censorship )

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun Oct 31 22:03:13 CET 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 09:53:00PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> In particular, the usage rules seem to restrict to (downloading the software
> for) commercial use. But then again, it says "you may download for personnal
> use", not "you may not download for commercial use".

APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES

(i) You may download and sync a Product for personal, noncommercial use on any device You own or control.

 -> Does it say what you "may not"?

(ii) If You are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, You may download and sync a Product for use by either (a) a single individual on one or more devices You own or control or (b) multiple individuals, on a single shared device You own or control. For example, a single employee may use the Product on both the employee's iPhone and iPad, or multiple students may serially use the Product on a single iPad located at a resource center or library.

 -> Ok, this doesn't limit anything.

(iii) You shall be able to store App Store Products from up to five different Accounts at a time on compatible iOS-based devices.

 -> I don't understand what that means. You can only have 5 iOS-based devices with one application?
    Still, is that incompatible with the GPLv2? GPL §6 impeach people to restricts the rights granted by the GPL, which are only "copying, distribution and modification" as per §0

(iv) You shall be able to store App Store Products on five iTunes-authorized devices at any time.

 -> This is the exact same as above (iii)

(v) You shall be able to manually sync App Store Products from at least one iTunes-authorized device to devices that have manual sync mode, provided that the App Store Product is associated with an Account on the primary iTunes-authorized device, where the primary iTunes-authorized device is the one that was first synced with the device or the one that you subsequently designate as primary using iTunes.

 -> I don't see how we are concerned about that.

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/