[vlc-devel] wrong fps during the play

Kaarlo Räihä kaarlo.raiha at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 11:57:15 CEST 2010

2010/9/2 Giovanni Venturi <gventuri at nexera.it>

> Hello,
> I've got an m4v file that on VLC doesn't play correctly I tryed it on VLC
> 1.0.2 and 1.1.4 on Linux
> and on 0.9.8a and 1.1.4 on Windows. The result is the same, so it's a
> generic VLC issue. In the
> information of the media VLC says 100 frame per second, but opening it on
> mplayer it says about 7
> fps, so mplayer reproduces it correctly with its ~7 fps and VLC plays it
> very quickly with its 100
> fps. Why the fps detection is not correct on VLC? How can I set it
> manually? I tryed the option --
> vc1-fps using 7 as value, 0.25 as value, but the parameter is ignored. How
> can I do? What is the
> correct option?

vc1-fps only matters to VC-1 video streams which your m4v file naturally
isn't.

> The fps is something that is written into the original file?

With video streams that are inside container format (like AVI, MP4, MKV
etc.) the FPS value is usually written to container data. With elementary
stream videos the FPS might be inside the video data or it might not be.

If it is a MP4 file (you can check this with tool called Mediainfo) then
usually remuxing the file fixes the issue (you can remux MP4 files with tool
called MP4box).