[vlc-devel] '10 meeting

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 10:12:38 CEST 2010

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 06:49:01AM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
>> For all I know and I have a whole *zero* experience in that area, organizing a
>> meeting takes time and preparation. However, it seems we have only agreed not
>> to meet on Christmas time, due to suboptimal weathers risks and transport
>> congestion. And that's all.
>
> Yes.
>
> I don't plan to organize any VDD '10 at all. I don't have the time to
> start organizing it before GSoC summit, (OWF and OVC are some of the
> reasons), which means I cannot do it before mid-december.
> My plan is to organize VDDx3 early next year, to celebrate VLC's 10
> years of open source.

There are more people in the VideoLAN organisation, which could take
over your roll for organizing VDD. Maybe together with some volunteers
to do some handy work.

>> Isn't it high time that we Call For a Host? and Sponsors? and possibly for
>> Papers too (if we want a more externally open and conference-like event)? Or
>> did I miss that? JB said we had budget, so I have to assume this year's
>> meeting was not cancelled. I also assume it would still be held on a week-end
>> given the proportion of volunteers to professionals.
> We have the money.
>
>> This also brings some more questions: Do we actually stick to idea of an
>> earlier-than-Xmas time frame?
> Or after Xmas :D
>
>> Do we stick to the Paris, France region (the
>> obvious choice for travel budget optimization)?
> The Paris region is good not for budget, but because it is simpler for
> me to organize it.

I do think we should organize a VDD'10 in Q4 of this year. For me it
does not have to be Xmas an earlier date is fine too.

>> And perhaps most  importantly,
>> who is organizing it? (Well, maybe it is a silly question as only the
>> president and treasurer can take care of the financials)
>
> Anyone could. But who wants? This is boring business...

Volunteers? I don't mind helping, but cannot do this task alone.

Kind regards,

Jean-Paul Saman