[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] commit: broken avi dialog: don't confuse user by asking a binary answer ( Francois Cartegnie )

xxcv xxcv07 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 02:09:14 CEST 2010

On 18/09/2010 11:17 PM, Francois Cartegnie wrote:
> Le samedi 18 septembre 2010, vous avez écrit :
>> IMO,
>> i think i got more confused because you just said the word 'play' inside
>> every single button ... errr. Now im even more confused...
>
> I agree a simple "[Repair], [not repair]" is an option (and add 'before
> playing' somewhere in the previous text)... as long as you don't introduce the
> 3rd player which is the "Cancel" (playing) feature.
>
> User must clearly understand which each action will do. (*)
> The [Repair],[do not repair],[cancel] was just a regular [Yes][no][cancel] on
> a binary question.
> Cancel ? Cancel what ???
You just answered that question, exactly cancel the playing feature.

>> Because some a not very computer / IT literate person can't tell what is
>> going on in this question and answer, so why would you bring up such
>> complexity ?
> I think that's totally the opposite. Test yourself.
I read you buttons and questions again, yes it clearly indicates to the
user of what each buttons do and don't do.
I agree with your approach which seems good for teaching a 3 year old
how to use VLC to playback a broken .avi file.

> Another example:
>
> Then the previous text was expressing two facts:
> "This AVI file is broken. Seeking will not work correctly."
> Related ? Independant problems ?
> Thinking every user will understand that the two facts are related is wrong.
> If he does not, he can't understand that repairing will fix seeking.
> Adding the missing "because" does it.
>
> And a last one:
>
> Adding the "This can take a long time" after the question makes him loose
> focus on the question. (He'll probably re-read it)
Good point.

> Francois
>
> (*) A 4th option "Repair&  do not play", isn't there because it is not
> appropriate: user's wish was to play that file.
You're pretty good at this :)

--
My VLC, My Way, My Style~