[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] PulseAudio: let PulseAudio (or hardware) do the amplification

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Apr 6 20:03:35 CEST 2011

Le mercredi 6 avril 2011 20:59:19 Rémi Denis-Courmont, vous avez écrit :
> vlc | branch: master | Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> | Wed Apr  6
> 20:51:31 2011 +0300| [04c8b81291017599497e23e5304858090eab63ad] |
> committer: Rémi Denis-Courmont
>
> PulseAudio: let PulseAudio (or hardware) do the amplification
>
> This enables use of PulseAudio flat volume, if enabled in PulseAudio.
>
> Note that, in that case, VLC will multiply its own volume by the output
> device ("sink" in PulseAudio parliance) base volume. That effectively
> maps 100% volume in VLC to +0dB in PulseAudio. To me, that seems more
> intuitive and backward compatible with older VLC versions.
>
> However, PulseAudio people seem to think that 100% should be mapped to
> the maximum hardware amplification without software amplification,
> that is to say PA_VOLUME_NORM.

This is not a black and white problem.

With the division by base volume, we cannot amplify the signal as much as we
could without it. This limits the usefulness of the flat volume. I would
rather revert the Qt4 interface back to 400% in that respect.

http://www.remlab.info/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis