[vlc-devel] Need help developing text-to-speech-module in VLC - offering £5.000

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Apr 7 12:23:30 CEST 2011

Hello,

On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 12:15:41PM +0200, Sandra Derbring wrote :
> We're not limiting to just *.srt. It doesn't matter to us what kind of plain
> format the text is in as long as it's easily downloadable and doesn't have
> to be processed more than necessary.

Ok.

> That's good to know. How would it work if the user already had a licensed
> engine on their system?

I guess an audio_filter module would be written against Festival APIs,
or something of the like and depending of the presence (or not) of the
right dll|so|dylib libraries, the module would be possible to load or
not.

> > > is that the engine wouldn't come with the module, but work with the one
> > > already in place on the user's system (if applicable).
> >
> > What OS are targetted by the project?
> >

> Hopefully all OS that VLC itself targets. Is there a need to limit this - I
> mean, it there a lot of extra work doing it for each OS?

I don't know yet, but it might be the case.

Some OSes are more annoying than other  :D

> In that case, I'd
> say Windows would be our main OS, MacOS as second and Ubuntu as third.

Ok.

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf