[vlc-devel] Need help developing text-to-speech-module in VLC - offering £5.000

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 7 15:43:55 CEST 2011

On Apr 7, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:

>> Hopefully all OS that VLC itself targets. Is there a need to limit this - I
>> mean, it there a lot of extra work doing it for each OS?
>
> I don't know yet, but it might be the case.
>
> Some OSes are more annoying than other  :D
>
>> In that case, I'd
>> say Windows would be our main OS, MacOS as second and Ubuntu as third.
>
> Ok.

Just as a side note: current releases of Mac OS X support Speech Synthesis out of the box for English and Spanish (Mexico) for every Cocoa text object. By having a look at the Text-To-Speach features in iOS [1] and by looking at the rumors about future Mac OS X versions, it seems reasonable to assume that support of more languages will be added quite soon. Since this technology is part of the OS, there shouldn't be any GPL issues.

Best regards,

Felix

[1] iOS supports Speech Synthesis for Chinese (Cantonese), Chinese (China), Chinese (Taiwan), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (Australia), English (Britain), English (United States), Finnish, Flemish (Belgian Dutch), French (Canadian), French (France), German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish (Mexico), Spanish (Spain), Swedish, Thai and Turkish