[vlc-devel] [RFC] Removing change_need_restart()

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sat Apr 30 01:04:43 CEST 2011

Hello,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 08:07:54PM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> change_need_restart() is currently a write-only value. In the good old days,
> the WxWidgets user interface would notify the user that a restart of VLC was
> required. But this is not done anymore.

I was going to reintroduce it in Qt4 the other day, but then I realized
that this was stupid, because you need to reload the loaded plugins to
do so...

> In fact, this approach was overly simplistic. A few configuration items, such
> as hotkeys and CPU optimizations are actually fetched when the VLC instance
> starts. But almost every configuration item needs some form of restart, of the
> input, the input manager, the audio output, the video output, etc. If we
> really want to determine what to restart, it will get really cumbersome. And
> even then, telling the user what to restart would be confusing.

Indeed

> So I am not sure what to do...

I was thinking that what we needed to do was to unload/reload all the
loaded plugins, but this is an issue when you are actually playing
something... And this is a bit complex, no?

Or all plugins should have callbacks on variable changes...

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734