[vlc-devel] [RFC] Removing change_need_restart()

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Apr 30 09:53:40 CEST 2011

   Hello,

On Saturday 30 April 2011, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> I was thinking that what we needed to do was to unload/reload all the
> loaded plugins, but this is an issue when you are actually playing
> something... And this is a bit complex, no?

In many cases, you need to restart the whole input or audio or video pipeline.
That's far too complicated and error-prone. In fact, when this was implemented
for audio output device, it often crashed.

> Or all plugins should have callbacks on variable changes...

In many cases, you can't use a callback because you need to reset the pipeline
For instance, if you change the audio or video output device, you may need to
request a different input format from the upstream filters.

Besides, changing the configuration does not change variable values, if
var_Create() was used, so it plain simply would not work.

http://www.remlab.info