[vlc-devel] Factor HTTP/HTTPS/RTSP port in core

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Aug 15 09:12:06 CEST 2011

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 00:20:57 +0200, Pierre Ynard <linkfanel at yahoo.fr>
wrote:
>> The syntax was very confusing. Sorry but http://:8080/foobar is NOT an
>> URL and I have not seen it used _anywhere_ else.
>
> <address>:<port> is the standard way to write a transport address.

Standard? Where from?

I know standard ways to write an IP address and to print a port, but not
both together.

> As for URLs, nobody forces the user to input invalid stuff,
> but "be liberal in what you accept".

"Be liberal in what you accept" is a policy for interoperability of
protocols. This has nothing to do with this.

And the dst= field is _not_ taking a URL, so even you were confused.

>> But worse, the code to reuse hosts never ever worked correctly.
>
> I don't know about that, would you have any pointers?

It's all there in the old code for you to see.

http://www.remlab.net/