[vlc-devel] Factor HTTP/HTTPS/RTSP port in core

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Mon Aug 15 00:20:57 CEST 2011

> The syntax was very confusing. Sorry but http://:8080/foobar is NOT an
> URL and I have not seen it used _anywhere_ else.

<address>:<port> is the standard way to write a transport address. As
for URLs, nobody forces the user to input invalid stuff, but "be liberal
in what you accept". If anything is confusing, it's the inconsistent
syntax across all the modules, and without a pervasive plan your changes
are hardly helping in that regard.

> But worse, the code to reuse hosts never ever worked correctly.

I don't know about that, would you have any pointers?

> With this approach, everything works just fine. We have one port
> per protocol, easily configurable. We also have one unique TLS
> configuration, which is the only setup that actually ever worked.

Trimming down buggy features is a poor approach to fixing bugs.

> And there is absolutely zero point in using multiple ports. This is
> not RTP. You can always define different paths.

Yes there is. If there is a point in choosing the port, there is a point
in choosing different ports for different streams for different reasons.
And there is even more of a point in choosing different bind addresses,
which is impossible too now.

> Unless someone has a plan on how to fix the old design to not be highly
> confusing, hard to configure and plain buggy, I am not interested in
> discussing this.

Would you please remind us all how it is buggy?

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."