[vlc-devel] Smooth Streaming

Frederic YHUEL fyhuel at viotech.net
Fri Aug 19 18:32:44 CEST 2011

> Normaly the plugin should open the the urls and simply handover the
> segments to the avformat demux. So on the ouptput you should see some
> error messages from avformat demux instead.

These are messages from libavformat, which is called from avformat
demux (if I understand well).

> They init the stream with the information from the client manifest but
> this is just a guess.

Yes it must be as you say, because I have looked at the requests sent
by a Smooth Streaming client (Google Chrome + Moonlight), and the
first fragment is requested immediately after the manifest file. So
the client have to initialize the stream with the information it has,
i.e. the manifest file. But then it's not as easy to build a client
(as easy as it could be).

>>> So what
>>> you can do is create an init segment for that stream or init the demux
>>> with the information from the manifest file by yourself.
>>>

>> Do you happen to have links to documentation that could explain how to
>> do that ? I didn't find good doc about MP4 / ISOFF in general. Maybe
>> should I play with MP4Box to get a better understanding to this
>> container ?
>
> Maybe you should take a look into the standard ;)
>
> ISOBMFF MPEG-4 Part 12, ISO/IEC 14496-12
> MP4 MPEG-4 Part 14, ISO/IEC 14496-14

Ok this is not easy reading but I'll endeavor to read them :-)

Thank you !

--
Frédéric Yhuel