[vlc-devel] a pitfall when cross-compiling win32 build on 64bit machine

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Wed Dec 14 08:01:09 CET 2011

Le Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:48:54 +0900,
Naohiro KORIYAMA <nkoriyama at gmail.com> a écrit :

> I compile win32 build on OS X Lion.
>
> First, it seemed fine, but lua scripts didn't run at all.
> I installed lua in /usr/local/bin, and it was built as 64bit application.
> And, I found the following in the LUAC man page:
> The binary files created by luac are portable only among architectures
> with the same word size and byte order.
>
> Oops, that's it.
> After I made luac 32bit version, and use it by "LUAC=luac32
> ..../win32/configure.sh ...", lua scripts worked on win32 build.
> I don't know about Linux 64bit environment, on
> http://wiki.videolan.org/Win32Compile, there is no description about
> it.

It's strange, I think the windows builds are made on a linux 64 bits
machine but they run fine on win32.

The .lua files (not compiled) should work fine, I think we used luac
only to reduce binary size of VLC package.

If that's the case, zip/7z compress the files already so there should
not be a big difference between .lua and .luac (except when unpacked on
the disk), and we could packge .lua files only.

--
Rafaël Carré