[vlc-devel] VLC, better AMR support, support in browsers

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Feb 3 10:03:55 CET 2011

	Hello,

Le jeudi 3 février 2011 02:58:19 Kálmán „KAMI” Szalai, vous avez écrit :
> I advised to my project leader to use VLC instead of Quicktime for AMR
> playback in Windows environment, because it is possible to play AMR
> files in VLC too. However I found few features lack:
>
> * seeking in AMR file is not possible,

I am not an expert on the topic, but I understood that AMR is a very tightly
compressed codec, such that frame size and bit rate can vary.

If I am right, it is not possible to seek a raw AMR file efficiently: there is
no index and no good way to convert time offset into file offset.

In any case, parsing AMR is done by libavformat and libavcodec from the FFmpeg
project, not directly by the VideoLAN project.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis