[vlc-devel] Devs' informal meeting at FOSDEM
jpeg at videolan.org
Wed Feb 9 12:18:47 CET 2011
Last weekend during FOSDEM, a few of us met and held a short meeting
to discuss VLC development.
Here are the notes I took, totally incomplete, very raw, just to
remind you of the main ideas:
- amem needs a usable API: ivoire was working on it, the module
compiles and an API is almost there. Let's commit this work.
- same for smem.
* Mobile VLC:
- QtMobileVLC should be a common project for Windows Mobile, WinOS
and MeeGo (see the QtMobileVLC git repo).
- Android and iOS are big enough to justify ports of their own.
- Android: ivoire, MagSoft, Asmadeus and myself (jpeg) are working
on it. A much wanted feature is the hardware codecs integration, but
it might require lots of hacking since no public API for OpenMAX IL is
- App markets: Android and MeeGo markets should not have any
problems with the GPL.
* Symbian (with pk__):
- Merge in progress. Merge Qt and LibVLC when possible.
- About pthread_cancel: let's try to have a common solution with
Android if possible [note: there are probably still some bugs].
* Media Library (with jetru):
- There is a timer in the folder watching system that *must* be
removed. Find another way of watching folders, even if non portable
- Remove old XML media library.
- During first boot, VLC shall offer the user to import his old ML
or his iTunes ML.
- [1.2 release]
* Qt sout:
- Interface may be broken because of small changes in the sout chains.
* Mac OS:
- Very few devs around, except for feepk. Once the vout is repaired,
VLC might switch to Qt.
- How about Lunettes?
* Video filters:
- Some fixes are needed
- [1.2 release]
- Kill the plugin?
- We need a runtime option to deactivate fontconfig.
- How does Qt deal with fonts?
* Qt UI:
- Try using rounded non-native buttons (PNG)
- Remove status bar, remove some buttons too
* Playlist leaks some items (ivoire? ^^)
- Will we need QtWebKit/NSWebKit some day?
- How will we deal with private API keys?
More information about the vlc-devel