[vlc-devel] MobileVLCKit and the App Store

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Mon Jan 10 11:07:25 CET 2011

Hello,

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:25:28AM +0100, Rune Botten wrote :
> WIll all further usage of MobileVLCKit in applications destined for the App
> Store be in violation of the GPL in the core devs opinion?
> Are the core devs demanding all apps using MobileVLCKit be removed from the
> App Store, or is the "official" app being removed to prove a point regarding
> the App Store?
> Why are you maintaining MobileVLCKit in the core repo if it is unwanted?

Source code and AppStore are 2 different things that aren't related.

About the legality between GPL and AppStore, it is still not really
clear, but we have to admit that since last May, the AppStore ToS have
changed quite a lot in a direction more friendly with the GPL, as you
can see on:
http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2010-November/077457.html
http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2010-December/078262.html

I need to have a check with some lawyers, and SFLC to know where we
stand.

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf