[vlc-devel] Arggh! I fucked up. LIVE555 breaks VLC 1.1.6

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jan 24 09:29:11 CET 2011

Mea Culpa.  When I updated LIVE555 to support the "audio/L24" RTP
payload type, I also (inadvertently) introduced a bug in the RTSP
client code that happens to crash the new VLC 1.1.6.  (The reason I
didn't notice this at the time is that the 1.1.x VLC tree still uses
our old synchronous RTSP client interface; the 1.2.x tree uses the
newer asynchronous interface that wasn't affected by the bug.)

I've just installed a new LIVE555 version (2011.01.24) that I believe
will fix the problem.  After rebuilding VLC with this new version,
please test it by running
	VLC rtsp://example.com/foo
(i.e., exactly as shown; the actual "rtsp://" URL doesn't matter).
Note that this command will crash VLC 1.1.6.

Once again, I'm very sorry for the disruption.  Unfortunately you
will need to release another VLC version (1.1.7?) to fix this.
--

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.