[vlc-devel] Arggh! I fucked up. LIVE555 breaks VLC 1.1.6

Felix Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 24 09:52:35 CET 2011

Hello,

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:
> Mea Culpa.  When I updated LIVE555 to support the "audio/L24" RTP payload
> type, I also (inadvertently) introduced a bug in the RTSP client code that
> happens to crash the new VLC 1.1.6.  (The reason I didn't notice this at the
> time is that the 1.1.x VLC tree still uses our old synchronous RTSP client
> interface; the 1.2.x tree uses the newer asynchronous interface that wasn't
> affected by the bug.)
>
> I've just installed a new LIVE555 version (2011.01.24) that I believe will
> fix the problem.  After rebuilding VLC with this new version, please test it
> by running
>        VLC rtsp://example.com/foo
> (i.e., exactly as shown; the actual "rtsp://" URL doesn't matter). Note that
> this command will crash VLC 1.1.6.

I can't reproduce this on Mac OS X (PowerPC) (the only platform I've
got access to atm). Playing the suggested URL simply results in the
following normal output:

live555 debug: DESCRIBE failed with 0: liveMedia0
live555 debug: connection timeout
live555 error: Failed to connect with rtsp://example.com/foo
main debug: no access_demux module matching "rtsp" could be loaded
main debug: creating access 'rtsp' path='example.com/foo'
main debug: looking for access module: 1 candidate
main debug: net: connecting to example.com port 554
main warning: connection timed out
access_realrtsp error: cannot connect to example.com:554
access_realrtsp debug: could not connect to: example.com/foo
main debug: no access module matching "rtsp" could be loaded

So, perhaps, this only affects the Windows port?

Best regards,

Felix