[vlc-devel] Smooth Streaming

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Jul 19 18:43:43 CEST 2011

	Hello,

Le mardi 19 juillet 2011 19:15:15 Frederic YHUEL, vous avez écrit :
> I'd like to write a module to add support for IIS Smooth Streaming in
> VLC. i.e., to handle the task described in ticket #3422.

That sounds cool, though it beats me why Microsoft needs yet another custom
HTTP streaming protocol (they already have MS-WMSP a.k.a. MMSH).

> Actually, it would be part of my current job at Viotech Communications
> (www.viotech.net), which is working on a media center using VLC.
>
> Do you have any idea of the time required in order to write such a
> module ? Knowing that I'm new to VLC :-)
> I'm (of course) very interested by any advice you could give to me.

I'm not sure anyone on the forum is very familiar with the protocol, and you
don't say if you're trying to make a client/input or server/output plugin... I
would hazard a figure of about 2 months including overhead if you're familiar
with C.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis