[vlc-devel] RTSP trickplay - libvlc_media_player_set_rate support for fast forward/rewind

Sébastien Escudier sebastien-devel at celeos.eu
Wed Jun 1 16:30:27 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 14:29 +0100, Nuno Mota wrote:
> However there's a big problem when you set rate 0. VLC understood a
> rate of -31!!!
The input checks for <= 0 rate at startup but not in
INPUT_CONTROL_SET_RATE. I opened a ticked for this :
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/4861

> The problem you mentioned in the forum is kind of a big fail (yes i'm
> mundu :). When fast rewinding the time gets stuck and then it doesn't
> update. If you press play it will only start from the time you issued
> the setRate(negative), and not at the time where I pressed play again.
> Do you know where vlc actually updates its time?

There are several issues with rtsp and time update. In fact the time
will always update at 1x speed.
That's because rtsp servers re-calculate timestamps, and vlc thinks it
receives the pictures at 1x speed.
Time update is based on timestamps