[vlc-devel] Crystal HD for 1080i MPEG2 and closed captions on low-end system

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Fri Jun 10 16:06:18 CEST 2011

Hello,

> This is quite interesting, and I believe that most modules/codecs/cc.c
> patches should be upstreamable without too much work.
> I am not sure the corectness/logic of some of them, though...

If you have specific concerns, I would be interested in hearing them.
There were definitely some cases where the code is ugly, largely due
to limitations of the VLC framework and pre-existing code.

> However, the freetype module has seen some major rework and I think
> Laurent is changing quite a bit how the rendering is done, so I think
> the blackbox commit will not be mergeable.

This doesn't surprise me.  I definitely would have preferred to avoid
changing the Freetype module at all, but it was unfortunately
necessary in order to do proper layout of the captions (as well as
introducing the black background behind the text).

> The patch on v4l2 has more issues IMVHO, notably committing changes to
> configure and m4, failing to use the ZVBI ifdef in all places, keeping
> printf when it should be msg_Dbg, not respecting indentation size and
> codestyle of the files.
>
> Just two remarks, you are allowed to use C99 for in VLC, and you should
> really check your indentation (4 spaces) for VLC code.

Yup, my focus was on delivering functional patches, and I hadn't yet
taken a pass over the patches to address codingstyle issue.

Thanks for the feedback,

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs