[vlc-devel] Crystal HD for 1080i MPEG2 and closed captions on low-end system

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Fri Jun 10 16:40:07 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> The part hardcoding "DejaVu Sans Mono" was the one that worried me a
> bit, especially since since there is already some ugliness on freetype.c
> about this and that most distribution already change it there.

I totally agree with you here, and perhaps my problem is a lack of
understanding as to how FreeType is integrated with VLC.  So let me
restate the requirement that prompted this:

How do I tell VLC that I need a fixed width font which has a
predictable height?  The fixed-width nature is required in order to
ensure that horizontal layout works properly.  The known height is
required in order to ensure that I end up with vertical placement such
that everything fits on the screen.  For example, with the default
font used the last two or three lines of text would not fit on the OSD
because the font is too tall.

In essence, EIA-608 operates under the expectation that there are 16
lines of text (taking up 80% of the vertical screen) and a horizontal
width of 32 characters.  I welcome suggestions on how to achieve this
in a less hacky manner.

>> There were definitely some cases where the code is ugly, largely due
>> to limitations of the VLC framework and pre-existing code.
>
> I am not blaming you, really not ;)

I didn't think you were.  Just attempting to explain where things are at.  :-)

>> > However, the freetype module has seen some major rework and I think
>> > Laurent is changing quite a bit how the rendering is done, so I think
>> > the blackbox commit will not be mergeable.
>>
>> This doesn't surprise me.  I definitely would have preferred to avoid
>> changing the Freetype module at all, but it was unfortunately
>> necessary in order to do proper layout of the captions (as well as
>> introducing the black background behind the text).
>
> I understood this in your commits and your changes are minor there,
> except one commit that should be unnecessary once Laurent will finish
> his code.

I assume I would have stumbled across this myself as soon as I
attempted to rebase the patches against the current HEAD.

>> > Just two remarks, you are allowed to use C99 for in VLC, and you should
>> > really check your indentation (4 spaces) for VLC code.
>>
>> Yup, my focus was on delivering functional patches, and I hadn't yet
>> taken a pass over the patches to address codingstyle issue.
>
> This is fully understood, and we all know the timing necessity that
> happen IRL. My comments were more for upstream inclusion, because it
> would be stupid not to merge your work, IMVHO.

Yeah, I didn't really expect that the patches would meet the coding
standards, and I appreciate why projects demand that submissions to,
which is one of the key reasons I hadn't yet attempted to actually
submit them upstream.  I'll have these issues worked out before any
real submission.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs