[vlc-devel] Deinterlacer broken, possibly a PTS issue - any ideas?

Juha Jeronen juha.jeronen at jyu.fi
Fri Mar 4 13:35:33 CET 2011

On 03/04/2011 09:49 AM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 06:12:07 +0200, Juha Jeronen <juha.jeronen at jyu.fi>
> wrote:
>> I updated my vlc-1.2-git tree two days ago, and since then the
>> deinterlacer module has stopped working properly for many streams.
>>
>> I'm getting bursts of late frames (up to 200ms or so), which causes the
>> playback to seriously stutter. This didn't happen with the version of
>> vlc-1.2-git from early January I had earlier.
> If you have a known good older version, you can find the faulty commit with
> git-bisect.
>
> At that point, I'll cross my finders so that it turns out to be Laurent's
> fault rather than mine :D
>
> (...)

Ok. Thanks for the tip. I can get a known-good commit ID from one of my
old working branches. Good thing that I'm too lazy to delete the
obsolete ones ;)

I'll see if I can narrow it down over the weekend.

Building VLC on this netbook takes about 40 minutes per full build... I
know, I need a faster Linux machine :D

(Fortunately binary search is only O(log(N)).)

>> [ 7498.214428] vlc[20428]: segfault at 4 ip b4d5cce6 sp bfa2c0b0 error 4
>> in libQtDBus.so.4.6.3[b4d19000+76000]
> Did you use the Open file dialog? That's a known KDE bug.

Yes, very probably. Now that you mention it, I recall the recent
QProcess discussion, too.

For some of the test runs, I used the Open file dialog, and for some
only the most recently used list. That would explain why it crashed only
occasionally :)

So that's a likely explanation for the crash. Next up, finding out what
is wrong with the deinterlacer. I'll post the result when I'm done with
git-bisect.

 -J