[vlc-devel] VLC addons website

Andre-John Mas ajmas at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 12 01:59:42 CET 2011

On 11-Mar-2011, at 12:17, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As you might know, I was working on a extensions website for VLC, but I
> don't want to maintain it, I don't really have time to code it and I
> really fear the security issues.
>
> Therefore, I thought we could outsource it and use something that was
> already developped, and working well for KDE.
>
> Therefore, we have now a website here: http://vlc-addons.org/
>
> A few remarks:
> - It will be aliased to addons.videolan.org soon,
> - ideas of improvements are welcome,
> - there is a Qt lib to integrate it in VLC, if needed,
> - CSS rework would be cool,
> - if you object strongly against it, please say so now,
> - it will replace the skins webpage.

Its a starting point and that's what matters. We can improve it if we see it
lacking in any way and as end-users direct us with regards to their needs.

What could be useful is a link to page documenting how to write plugins for
VLC, which APIs to use and where they should be installed.

With the site in place, it prompts me to ask some questions:

How much support is there for optional, runtime plugins?

Looking on the Mac, for example, I see no "/Library/Application Support/VLC" or
"~/Library/Application Support/VLC" for adding optional plug-ins. Also,
I would imagine a different extension for describing VLC plugins. At the
moment I see .dylib, which is fairly generic. Maybe they should be packaged
as bundles with a ".vlcplug" extension? What is the scenario on other platforms?

Andre