[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Qt: menu: move advanced open.

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Mar 25 15:09:10 CET 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:35:45 +0200, Juha Jeronen <juha.jeronen at jyu.fi>
wrote:
> On 03/25/2011 02:41 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>> I think we should remove the disc and capture items in favor of the
>> playlist/SD. We already have Disc SD on both Linux and Windows. For
>> capture, some more work is needed on the SD side. However, I think we
all
>> agree that we still need a network item in some form ("Open Location").
>> Also unless someone finds a way to merge advanced file and normal file
>> opens, we need to keep them both, with the normal one first. And I'm
not
>> convinced that this can be solved with the current QtGui library.
>
> Assuming SD refers to "simple dialog"...

No. SD means Service Discovery, i.e modules/service_discovery/*.

> I'm curious, does the simple disc open come
> with a possibility of choosing the optical drive?

There is no "simple" disc open dialog. There is only the confusing
"advanced" disc open dialog. It was "designed" in the earlier half of the
previous decade, for WxWidgets. The user has to know the path to the disc.
To the contrary, the nice user-friendly disc SD does show the list of
current optical disc in the drives.

> Or alternatively, does it autodetect?

The SD has dynamic disc insert detection on Linux, and shows volume
labels. On Windows, it simply lists the available optical drive letters.

The dialog is completely manual on Linux. On Windows, it duplicates the SD
code/functionality.

> Real use case: netbook with external DVD. It usually pops up as
> /dev/dvd3 on my Debian installation. I have set this as default in the
> VLC configuration. However, it seems that if I use a different physical
> unit, it may show as /dev/dvd2 instead.

That's one of the reason why the dialog should be killed. The SD solves
that problem very nicely.

Another reason is, title-chapter/track selection from the dialog is
confusing for users:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vlc/+bug/703496
This confusion wouldn't exist if users would stick to the navigation menu.

http://www.remlab.net/