[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Qt: menu: move advanced open.

Juha Jeronen juha.jeronen at jyu.fi
Fri Mar 25 14:35:45 CET 2011

On 03/25/2011 02:41 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> I think we should remove the disc and capture items in favor of the
> playlist/SD. We already have Disc SD on both Linux and Windows. For
> capture, some more work is needed on the SD side. However, I think we all
> agree that we still need a network item in some form ("Open Location").
> Also unless someone finds a way to merge advanced file and normal file
> opens, we need to keep them both, with the normal one first. And I'm not
> convinced that this can be solved with the current QtGui library.

Assuming SD refers to "simple dialog"... I'm curious, does the simple
disc open come with a possibility of choosing the optical drive? Or
alternatively, does it autodetect?

Real use case: netbook with external DVD. It usually pops up as
/dev/dvd3 on my Debian installation. I have set this as default in the
VLC configuration. However, it seems that if I use a different physical
unit, it may show as /dev/dvd2 instead.

Of course, I don't know how many other VLC users go travelling with
netbooks and sometimes forget their DVD drive (or don't anticipate
needing one).

Another possible use case are desktops with several DVD drives. It's not
guaranteed that the user is consistent about which one to use for movies.

On the other hand, if it's only the "shortcut" menu items that are going
to be removed, and the advanced functionality can still be accessed
through advanced open, maybe this is not that important...

 -J