[vlc-devel] ModSecurity

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 12:44:47 CEST 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> Good results:
>  - the number of spammers has lowered that much on the forum (less than
>   10 in the last 4 days), that I reactivated the post-without-moderation
>   for new users
>  - I haven't deleted anything in the wiki since the 23rd
>  - I haven't seen trac spams since.
>
> However, this will not block all manual chinese spam, but well...
>
> The bad:
>  - the modsecurity takes a lot of RAM in the apache2 processes, this is
>   highly annoying. I lowered the numbers of MaxClients of apache2, to
>   try to lower a bit this issue.
>  - there seems to be a memleak on the modsecurity version, on top of
>   that... Flameeyes contacted the debian packager, let's hope.

Off loading the spam checking will lower cpu and memory usage. Maybe
mollom (www.mollom.com) can help us here.

I have deployed mollom (www.mollom.com) on some of my sites and have
very good results with it (no spam since). Mollom is a subscription
service that
uses different approaches to find HAM or SPAM. They also have free
subscription options.

Mollom provides an API in different languages to use their services.
It means that we have to write extensions/modules for Trac, MediaWiki
and phpBB.

Just an idea.

Kind Regards,
Jean-Paul Saman.