[vlc-devel] [RFC] http vs luahttp

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Mar 28 21:51:26 CEST 2011

Le lundi 28 mars 2011 21:55:49 Rob, vous avez écrit :
> some more details below.
>
> re sending a patch - sadly I don't have the skills to do that.
>
> I wasn't intending to cause offence by talking about these bugs - but they
> do seem relevant to the http vs luahttp discussion.

I'm not taking offense. I'm just pointing out that you can't expect me to
debug with an iPhone. This is maybe not absolute factual and proven truth. But
I think it is close enough to be fair.

I can, and in fact did reproduce it with the HTML page.

> My point is just that I don't think the luahttp interface is ready to
> replace the oldhttp interface on mac & linux.

Unfortuantely, I have to agree with you.

> meanwhile, if you did have time/inclination to debug

Normally, I would.

<rant>
But I already spent a lot of my freetime fixing what seems to be the exact
same class of bugs in the "legacy" HTTP interface. On my free time. And
instead of being thanked, I ended up having arguments with the original LUA
interface developer. I did tell other developers not to use the broken-by-
design vlc_object_find(_name) functions. With the notable exception of Laurent
and myself, nobody cared to fix those issues.

I am not going to work on this on my *free* time, especially not while I lack
a secure situation. But most importantly, ~200 insulting emails and countless
derogatory blog posts and pseudo-news articles have more than obliterated any
slightest bit of goodwill I might ever have had with respect to the iOS
ecosystem.
</rant>

So sorry, but I won't fix in the current circumstances.

Best regards and thanks for the HTML,

Looking for a job: http://www.remlab.info/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis