[vlc-devel] ideea for GSoC

Rob rob at hobbyistsoftware.com
Wed Mar 30 17:35:29 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm obviously biased here; I'm one of the developers who makes an
independent vlc remote control app.

However I think there is something interesting here; VLC provides an http
interface, and there are dozens of remote apps. Some free, some paid, some
open source.

My suggestion would be to concentrate on building the infrastructure which
enables those remotes. There has been lots of discussion recently about
the http interface vs the luahttp interface.

Why not concentrate on making those more powerful (and fixing bugs). The
capabilities you provide there will be used by many remote apps in new and
intersting ways - and you'll get a multiplier effect on your work.

If you build your own remote, then you'll end up with a single remote on a
single platform (probably). If you build the foundation, then many remotes
will grow.

Rob