[vlc-devel] GSoC suggestion - Device Synchronization

Nolan Greenwood nolangwood at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 12:58:33 CEST 2011

I noticed the suggestion for GSoC on adding device synchronization to VLC(
http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2011#Device_synchronisation). I'd like to show
my interest in doing this project. My goal would be to include the following
functionality:

   - Automatically(or manually) copy a library(video, audio, and playlists)
   to a Mp3 player. The user would be able to specify which filetypes they want
   to copy, what folder structure they want, and whether they only want to copy
   specific groups of file(a few artists, only the contents of a playlist,
   etc).
   - Automatically(or manually) backup the library to an external drive, a
   network drive or an internet server.
   - If it's not too impossible, sync with iPods and Zunes would be great.
   I'd have to research those devices to see what restrictions they have.

Does anyone have any feedback, issues, or ideas?