[vlc-devel] how to add video annotation functionality to VLC

Olivier Aubert olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr
Wed May 11 18:31:56 CEST 2011

Hello

Your request is too broad to give a precise answer. Are you interested
in the rendering of annotations or their edition too? Do you want an
online tool or an offline tool? Do you have specific requirements for
the input video format? What kind of annotations do you want to render
(from your mail, it looks like graphical annotations, but is it limited
to that)?

Some pointers that could give you ideas:
- for online annotation rendering, using HTML5 video component,
http://popcornjs.org/ is an excellent basis.
- http://advene.org/ is an offline (desktop) video annotation tool, that
uses standard video frameworks (gstreamer or VLC) for video rendering.
- there are text and graphical (SVG) renderers in VLC.

Olivier