[vlc-devel] Binaural virtual acoustics via headphones

Piotr Majdak piotr at majdak.com
Fri May 13 20:56:06 CEST 2011

Hi guys,

I'm completely new to this list and hope to find the right words.

I do fundamental research on spatial hearing and work among others on
binaural virtual acoustics. By using head-related transfer functions
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function> (HRTFs)
recorded for various sound directions, it is possible to simulate sound
sources like loudspeakers when listening via headphones. The typical
application for binaural virtual acoustics could be watching 5.1 movies
via headphones (for example while sitting in a train) and still having
"surround" sound. When individualized HRTFs are used, the perception of
the virtual loudspeakers could be even comparable to real loudspeakers.

We consider to implement the HRTF-based binaural simulation in
VLC-Player. A user could provide his own HRTFs or choose from a database
and listen to spatialized sounds via headphones. By using a web-cam,
head movements/orientation could also be considered in the
spatialization. What do you think about that?

I played a little bit with the "headphone virtual spatialization" option
in the VLC player. It seems to mix somehow the audio channels down to
the headphone channels, however, I could not find any description about
the algorithm. I also could not find any options/settings for that. Can
you help with some of description? Maybe there is not much work required
for including HRTFs to VLC player ;-)

Cheers,

Piotr

--
Piotr Majdak
Psychoacoustics and Experimental Audiology