[vlc-devel] Project of generation libvlc.lib compatible with MS Visual Studio.

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Fri Nov 11 21:29:02 CET 2011

Le Thu, 10 Nov 2011 12:28:18 -0500,
Jacques Boileau <jboileau at gmail.com> a écrit :

> I do not imply that Videolan should deliver any part of VisualStudio
> to end users.

The GPL says:

"For an executable work, complete source code means all the source code
for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition
files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation of
the executable."

If we use Visual Studio to generate the .lib file, then Visual Studio
is assimilable to "a script(s) used to control compilation".

And of course Microsoft doesn't allow us to redistribute Visual Studio
as a GPL'd software.

> Just that it is probably needed when Videolan would
> generate the .lib to be included in the package.

Let's find another way to generate the .lib with free software, or
don't do it at all.

--
Rafaël Carré