[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] ActiveX, NpApi: DVD Menu control for VIDEO_TS

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Nov 12 12:07:08 CET 2011

Le samedi 12 novembre 2011 12:47:59 Sergey Radionov, vous avez écrit :
> 2011/11/12 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>
>
> > In embedded mode (drawable on Win32, xcb_window on X11), fullscreen mode
> > cannot be provided since it breaks embedding. So LibVLC fullscreen
> > function have no effects while embedding is in use. This limitation is
> > unavoidable without breaking things and is clearly documented in
> > Doxygen.
>
> As I understand, any use of libvlc in external application (third party
> media player for example) will be considered as "embedding", and therefore
> any use of fullscreen functions will be ignored,

Some applications actually don't embed the video, notably text mode or head-
less applications.

> so, maybe,
> libvlc_toggle_fullscreen, libvlc_set_fullscreen, libvlc_get_fullscreen
> functions must be excluded from libvlc interface?

We cannot remove API calls in LibVLC 1.2 due to binary compatibility.

The fullscreen mode restriction exists for X11 due to protocol design. On the
one hand, a window cannot be fullscreen if it has a (non-fullscreen) parent
window. On the other hand, reparenting the window to root will cease events
propagation to the embedding application/to the original parent window.

Loss of input events was a long-standing annoying fullscreen mode bug in the
WxWidgets interface, then in the Qt4 interface until version 1.1. Moving
fullscreen mode management to the window provider solved that problem.

On Win32, I don't know if the same problem exists, or if it is only a lack of
implementation.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis