[vlc-devel] configure: check that live555 has our patches applied

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Nov 15 07:39:58 CET 2011

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 22:42:44 -0500, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>
wrote:
> Le Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:35:09 +0100 (CET),
> git at videolan.org (Rémi Denis-Courmont) a écrit :
>
>> vlc | branch: master | Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> | Mon Nov
>> 14 18:34:04 2011 +0200| [6a20b9968abde4f828c4c6cea51e8b7601f98fa5] |
>> committer: Rémi Denis-Courmont
>>
>> configure: check that live555 has our patches applied
>
>> +      AC_MSG_ERROR([liveMedia lacks patches and is not usable.
>> +Please apply our patches from the VLC contrib (contrib/src/live555/).
>
> What makes it 'not usable' ?

Read the patches. We have already discussed this multiple times.

> Have the bugs been reported upstream ?

Yes. Upstream does not want them because they are "not portable", IIRC.

> What is your plan wrt distributions?

I have no plans w.r.t. to distributors for I am not distributor.

The role of a distributor is to integrate the software so that all
components work together.
Pointing out a problem, and the solution, is doing them a service.

> They will either patch live555 either patch VLC to remove this check,
> and without details I guess they'll patch VLC thus rendering this
> check useless.

I can warn the packagers. I cannot prevent them being reckless idiots
where applicable.

> For now the only side effect of this check is that (Debian) buildbot is
> broken;

No. The side effect of this check is that we know that Debian live555 is
broken and always was.

> should we use --disable-live555 to be able to check the other
> code and thus stop checking live555 module?

I don't really care.

http://www.remlab.net/