[vlc-devel] Contrib Tree improvement for MacOSX in clang

Naohiro KORIYAMA nkoriyama at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 01:49:12 CET 2011

I have same problems with Diego.

Another problems when I build contrib from source on Mac OS X:

- iconv
On Mac OS X, we use system iconv library instead of gnu iconv library,
so we don't need to install gnu iconv library, but it is installed.
If gnu iconv is installed,  VLC does not run properly.

- gettext
On Mac OS X, gettext library is not installed, so we need to install
it. But only libintl and some tools are installed.
When we build some library like cddb,  autoconf fails because
AM_GETTEXT_* and AM_ICONV are not defined on the system.

- zvbi
I cannot compile with clang. I have the following bug. I can compile
this library with llvm-gcc.

./misc.h:56:5: error: invalid token at start of a preprocessor expression
#if #cpu (i386)
    ^
./misc.h:59:5: error: invalid token at start of a preprocessor expression
#if #cpu (i686)
    ^
2 errors generated.

- libdvbpsi
headers and library are installed but libdvbspi.pc is not installed
to $PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig. TS plugin is not built if this file is
missing.

- libvpx
command is valid. but fail to build with makefile. I can build
successfully when I build with the same command by hand. maybe we need
to modify configure script.

(cd libvpx; ./configure --target=x86_64-darwin10-gcc
--disable-install-bins --disable-install-srcs --disable-install-libs
--disable-install-docs --disable-examples --disable-vp8-decoder &&
make && make install)
Configuring selected codecs
  enabling vp8_encoder
Configuring for target 'x86_64-darwin10-gcc'
  enabling x86_64
  enabling runtime_cpu_detect
  enabling mmx
  enabling sse
  enabling sse2
  enabling sse3
  enabling ssse3
  enabling sse4_1
  using yasm
  enabling postproc
Toolchain is unable to link executables

Configuration failed. This could reflect a misconfiguration of your
toolchains, improper options selected, or another problem. If you
don't see any useful error messages above, the next step is to look
at the configure error log file (config.err) to determine what
configure was trying to do when it died.
make[1]: *** [.libvpx] Error 1
make: *** [using-src] Error 2

- ffmpeg
Using ffmpeg-git, I cannot playback some youtube video using
youtube.lua. When I open the url of youtube, avformat demux with old
ffmpeng cannot detect format so using youtube.lua, but avformat demux
with new ffmepg can detect format as "loas". This issue does not
affect all of the youtube video. If I build ffmpeg with
"--disable-demuxer=loas", I can playback the youtube video which had a
problem.
The issue is maybe not the problem  only on Mac OS X.

Another issue, plugin modules using ffmpeg-git (avcodec, avformat,
access_avio) need to link the frameworks CoreFoundation,
VideoDecodeAcceleration, QuartzCore. We can avoid issue with disabling
VDA decoder when building ffmeg library or modifying VLC's
configure.ac to link these frameworks.

- gnutls and orc
Configure script fails because it cannot find nm comand. So, we need
to add 'NM="nm' before configure.
(cd $<; NM="nm" $(HOSTCC) ./configure ...

--
KORIYAMA, Naohiro
nkoriyama at gmail.com