[vlc-devel] Contrib Tree improvement for MacOSX in clang

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 29 20:29:46 CET 2011

Hello,

On 16.11.2011, at 01:49, Naohiro KORIYAMA wrote:

> - gettext
> On Mac OS X, gettext library is not installed, so we need to install
> it. But only libintl and some tools are installed.
> When we build some library like cddb,  autoconf fails because
> AM_GETTEXT_* and AM_ICONV are not defined on the system.
Just make .gettext after bootstrapping the contribs as indicated by the OSXCompile page. This isn't obvious and may be fixed at some point. However, it works then.

> - zvbi
> I cannot compile with clang. I have the following bug. I can compile
> this library with llvm-gcc.
>
> ./misc.h:56:5: error: invalid token at start of a preprocessor expression
> #if #cpu (i386)
>    ^
> ./misc.h:59:5: error: invalid token at start of a preprocessor expression
> #if #cpu (i686)
>    ^
> 2 errors generated.
This library's code isn't cool at all. If you fix this one, you'll get another issue with a nested function in packet.c, which isn't supported by clang either. The authors admit this in a comment, but don't anything about it. No idea.

> - libdvbpsi
> headers and library are installed but libdvbspi.pc is not installed
> to $PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig.
Fixed in the meantime. Works for me at least.

> - libvpx
> command is valid. but fail to build with makefile. I can build
> successfully when I build with the same command by hand. maybe we need
> to modify configure script.
Fixed in the meantime.

> - gnutls and orc
> Configure script fails because it cannot find nm command.
Fixed in the meantime.

As mentioned in a previous mail, there are issues with libgcrypt:
These could be fixed this way:
1) CFLAGS="-std=gnu89 -fheinous-gnu-extensions"
2) add "--disable-asm" to the configure line (like for WIN64)
3) apply this patch: https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/devel/libgcrypt/files/clang-asm.patch

All other libraries compile correctly for me using clang 3.0 :-)

Best regards,

Felix