[vlc-devel] contrib: detect XCode > 3

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 27 13:29:32 CET 2011

Hello,

On 26.11.2011, at 21:26, Rafaël Carré wrote:

> Here's what I found in my experiments:
>
> - xcode 3 doesn't support -arch
> - If we don't specify arch we'll build whatever defaultS architectures
> are set in the project file (which we could patch)
absolutely true. However, you can set this in the Xcode GUI. Which is why I'm proposing that we are using manually compiled frameworks (by one of us, not upstream) for contribs like we did since we introduced Sparkle support about 2 years ago.

> - bghudappkit doesn't build properly for PowerPC
Works for me. See the "how to build for 10.5" section on its github page.

> - bghudappkit is now mandatory to build VLC

> - we support MacOSX 10.5
> - 10.5 SDK is NOT available in Xcode 4
> - 10.5 is the last supported SDK for PowerPC
absolutely true points.

> Conclusion:
> The frameworks in contribs will not build automatically on 10.5 / xcode3
> VLC for PowerPC is broken since the dependancy on BGHUDAppKit was
> added months ago, and nobody noticed.
>
> Suggestion:
> Drop PowerPC support
We can do that. However, with the old contribs, VLC 1.2 works quite okay on the PowerPC. We still get around 60k downloads for the PPC-specific packages, so I don't really feel like dropping it.

> Drop 10.5 support
I spend quite a significant part of this summer retaining the code compatibility with this OS X version because it still got a market share of 15 to 20 %. I know it's shrinking especially because of Apple's increasing sales numbers, but IMO, it absolutely make sense to still support it.

> Do we have stats on 10.5 and PowerPC usage?

See above.

Best regards,

Felix