[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] LGPL

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Nov 28 08:13:39 CET 2011

----- Message d'origine -----
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:54:48PM +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote :
> Let me remind you that the AUTHORS line in the file is MORE important
> than the Copyright line :)

First, it is commonly advised to NOT use authors list in OSS project: it makes people feel that the author(s) somehow own the file and nobody else should modify it. Copyright on the other hand is really just a legal thing.

Second, the authors list fails to address non-individual copyright. M2X or Free do not look like "authors" to me... Yet, I do not think we care so much about the moral rights as the ownership ones.

Now, I do know that copyright statements do not have legal strength in Europe as in US. But I do not see how they are better or worse than authors list as a way to state who owns authoring rights. Every body knows that it translates to author's rights in code of laws countries.

--
Rémi