[vlc-devel] buildbot

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Tue Nov 29 13:07:09 CET 2011

Hello,

I find the names of the current buildbots a bit confusing.

It is not immediately obvious to me what they do.

It would be easier to have something regular so for example we could
use more the IRC feature of buildbot.

I propose to rename them to:
(NB-)ARCH-OS(-contrib)(-stable)

NB prefix if they are scheduled at an interval (each night/week)
stable suffix for 'branch' (i think stable makes more sense than branch)
contrib suffix if the buildbot *builds* (and not 'uses') contribs.

Basically that removes the obvious "Trunk" (as opposed to stable), that
removes "Cross" for windows build, and it gives a consistent scheme.

So with this scheme the continuous buildbots would be:

x86_64-sid
i386-sid
i386-win32
x86_64-win64
arm-wince
i386-osx
x86_64-osx

And the scheduled buildbots would be (with NB- prefix)

i386-win32
arm-wince
ppc-osx
i386-osx
x86_64-osx
x86_64-osx-contrib
i386-win32-contrib
x86_64-win64-contrib
source
distcheck

And stable, scheduled bots:

i386-osx-stable
x86_64-osx-stable
arm-wince-stable
i386-win32-stable
source-stable

What do you think?
I can't tell if we'd lose the build history with this renaming but this
wouldn't harm us if we did anyway.

Another topic:
I disabled the continuous branch builds because they were broken.

At least they didn't react to commits to the branch, but they did react
to commits in vlc.git instead.

I think we don't need continous builds for branch because we don't add
new features, and if we do we test them in master before.

Finally it would be awesome if vlc-build reports build status on irc
itself without us asking.

e.g.
<vlc-build> commit 123456 (John Doe) : [green]Fixed (x86_64-osx,
ppc-osx)[/green] [red]Broken (x86_64-win64)[/red] [yellow] Still broken
(x86_64-win32 i386-sid)[/yellow]

Also someone needs to reboot veda, or to install a MacOSX 10.5 PPC SDK
on jones so we can cross compile PPC builds

--
Rafaël Carré