[vlc-devel] httplive bug fixes

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 10:37:45 CEST 2011

Sergio,

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Sergio M. Ammirata, Ph.D.
<sergio at ammirata.net> wrote:
> The current implementation of the httplive input filter as a design flaw. It
> is reloading the meta index file (directory to all other streams)
> constantly. This will basically break compatibility with any server that
> dynamically calculates the bitrate of the streams based on content and will
> also break compatibility with servers that embed session management into the
> links (wowza for example).

The only server I encountered that does session management this way is wowza.

> The following patch addresses this issue and also fixes a few bugs:
> 1) It keeps track of the number of additions to the playlist and trigger
> the download thread when new items are added.
> 2) Incorrect parameter passed to the vlc_UrlParse function:
> -                vlc_UrlParse(&segment->url, p->url.psz_buffer, 0);
> +                vlc_UrlParse(&segment->url, p->url.psz_path, 0);

Not sure might break other servers, but needs looking at.

> 3) Change the default wait time for playlist reload to (0.5 x wait) for live
> streams instead of the (1 x wait). With the current setting, live streams
> will stall.

needs testing

> 4) Move the definition of the wait variable to the correct place (it
> was inside the loop, which made the redefinition of its value useless).

good point

> 5) Change the way the retrieval back-off algorithm works to
> something more reasonable. The way it was, it could never recover when it
> went all the way to 3 times the wait time. Now, it goes to have the wait
> time for a retry and then goes back to normal.

> 6) I added a new option that will let the user specify the specific stream
> to use from the meta index file. This option is useful if you do not want to
> switch between bitrates when they are available.

As told you in private already 6 is a NAK

Please resubmit this patch without the option "streamindex".