[vlc-devel] libvlc: determining media length

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Oct 20 20:32:38 CEST 2011

Le jeudi 20 octobre 2011 21:27:02 jeetu.golani at gmail.com, vous avez écrit :
> Hi guys,
>
> First since this doesn't tie in directly to vlc development but rather
> using libvlc please accept my apologies if this is the wrong list to
> be posting this on.
>
> I need to determine the length of .nuv files preferably using a python
> script. I've been toying with libvlc v1.1.3 to this end.
>
> The libvlc_media_player_get_length and libvlc_media_player_get_time
> functions seem to work but only after I actually play the video. If I
> try to call these functions without playing the media file the
> returned value is -1.

Depending on the file format and the VLC implementation, the LibVLC preparse
function can or cannot determine different input item meta infos. However, in
general, this is asynchronous, so some formats only provide length after
playback starts.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis