[vlc-devel] compiling ActiveX

Shane Phelan streamey at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 21:11:02 CET 2011

Ok... I was able to change the CLSID without changing the axvlc.idl.  I
changed the GUID references for CLSID_VLCPlugin2 in the axvlc_idl.h/.c

I think this is working although there still seems to be references
somewhere because when I use ProcessMonitor and do a search for axvlc.dll
even though my CLSID is targeted I still see the VLC active X plugin being
used along with the one that I created.  With no VLC installed the active x
plugin I created works and there are no extra instances running.  So, I
still have some references to figure out, but I'm happy with that for now.

That being said I still would like to be able to compile the ActiveX
plugin.  Since it appears that windows is the prefered way to do this I
installed cygwin and attempted to build the plugin using midl.  I'm getting
the following errors(this code is unmodified directly from the .tar file)
$ midl -Oicf -error all -env win32 -tlb axvlc.tlb -iid axvlc_idl.c -h
axvlc_idl
.h axvlc.idl
Microsoft (R) MIDL Compiler Version 5.01.0164
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1991-1997. All rights reserved.
Processing .\axvlc.idl
axvlc.idl
Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include\ocidl.idl
ocidl.idl
Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include\oleidl.idl
oleidl.idl
Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include\objidl.idl
objidl.idl
Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include\unknwn.idl
unknwn.idl
Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include\wtypes.idl
wtypes.idl
Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include\oaidl.idl
oaidl.idl
Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\VC98\Include\servprov.idl
servprov.idl
Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include\urlmon.idl
urlmon.idl
Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include\msxml.idl
msxml.idl
.\axvlc.idl(405) : error MIDL2025 : syntax error : expecting a declarator
or * n
ear "enable"
.\axvlc.idl(405) : error MIDL2025 : syntax error : expecting ; near "enable"
.\axvlc.idl(407) : error MIDL2025 : syntax error : expecting a declarator
or * n
ear "disable"
.\axvlc.idl(407) : error MIDL2025 : syntax error : expecting ; near
"disable"
.\axvlc.idl(458) : error MIDL2025 : syntax error : expecting a declarator
or * n
ear "enable"
.\axvlc.idl(458) : error MIDL2025 : syntax error : expecting ; near "enable"
.\axvlc.idl(460) : error MIDL2025 : syntax error : expecting a declarator
or * n
ear "disable"
.\axvlc.idl(460) : error MIDL2025 : syntax error : expecting ; near
"disable"
.\axvlc.idl(505) : error MIDL2025 : syntax error : expecting a declarator
or * n
ear "enable"
.\axvlc.idl(505) : error MIDL2025 : syntax error : expecting ; near "enable"
.\axvlc.idl(505) : error MIDL2026 : cannot recover from earlier syntax
errors; a
borting compilation

Thanks again!

Shane