[vlc-devel] Q re>modules and UI (speficially, popup menus & key bindings)

Kaarlo Räihä kaarlo.raiha at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 18:56:33 CEST 2011

2011/9/9 Walt Horat <walt at genaudioinc.com>

> I have a module derived from modules/audio_filter/channel_mixer/
>  simple; it has two controls, a check box and I am having a hard time
> learning the VLC API (mostly due to lack of time), and I was hoping for a
> few quick pointers:
>
> 1) I would like to add a popup menu to select ordinal options (i.e. int
> constants) via a human readable name. I tried emulating another module, and
> am having a hard time getting it to work. A pointer to a working example
> describing the bits I need would be greatly helpful

var_Change is one way to add items to menus during run-time. But you might
also need var_AddCallback and friends. One way to understand this method is
to check out e.g.
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=modules/audio_output/directx.cand
look lines 439-441 and 561-562

> 2) For testing, there are too many steps to open/drill down to/toggle
> pref/commit prefs dialog. We really need a way to reduce that to 1 step. Is
> there a way to bind a hotkey to a module, or am I going to have to hack this
> behavior in?

Command-line switches via .bat or similar are the easiest way to go.