[vlc-devel] AppleScript: NSDocument on OS X

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 12 20:30:23 CEST 2011

Hello,

Am 12.09.2011 um 10:56 schrieb Jan Winter <jwinter at gmx.net>:

> Am I right in the assumptions that VLC currently doesn't use the NSDocument approach?
Yeah, that's correct. Since VLC can only play one item per instance, the major benefits of NSDocument based apps cannot be achieved (aka multiple windows opening files in pretty much the same window similar to most word processors).

> I had planned to implement AppleScript features like "duration" or "path" within a NSDocument category, but as NSDocument is not used here I will have to extend the NSApplication category to s.th. like "duration of current item", which would represent the duration of the item, which is currently played (or paused)…
>
> Any objections against that?
Absolutely not. This is the way VLC's AppleScript support is currently implemented and I can't think of a more clever concept.

Best regards,
Felix