[vlc-devel] All things UPNP!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Sep 14 11:08:42 CEST 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:12:31AM +0900, Jorgen Lundman wrote :
> I am between projects, and I thought it would be nice to give
> something back to VLC. If that is appreciated, that is. :)

That is appreciated.

The lack of correct support of UPNP and DLNA in VLC is so shameful that
it is embarassing...

> However, I understand that work on UPNP may already have started.
> Since "too many chefs spoils the broth", just let me know if that is
> the case.

Thresh and Mirsal have been working on it. Accident on IRC said he
wanted to help too.

The cool part is that there is a LOT to do:
 - improving the SD api to be able to load partially the folders and not
   the full tree,
 - fix the Upnp client issues, its slowliness and strongly test it with
   multiple servers,
 - code and work on the Upnp server, improve it, fix it, and test it,
 - port on Win32,
 - DLNA support.

There is enough work for everyone to be occupied IMVHO, but at least
work together on IRC :D

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf