[vlc-devel] JSON-RPC

Lukasz M lukasz.m.luki at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 01:28:36 CEST 2011

Hello,

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 11:58:20PM +0200, Lukasz M wrote :
>> I want to create some advanced subtitles editor working with VLC. I
>> want to make it as separate application (at least for now, maybe some
>> day some integration come too). I checked interfaces, like telnet,
>> provided by VLC and it is not very convinient to use. Of course it is
>> all ok as a "human interface", but in event based applications like QT
>> applications it is not very handy.
>
> Why not using libVLC?

I mentioned it as a background, so I think we don't have to discuss
about it deeply.
Basically I don't want to create fully featured player.
I just want to create application that communicates with VLC.
I hope I haven't missed something having a look on libVLC, but using
provided interface is correct way.

>> I've made new interface with implementation of JSON-RPC 2.0 protocol.
>> API is very limited so far, I focused more on module's engine, not on
>> wide API.
>
> Cool stuff, but why not using the http requests in JSON?

You mean why I'm using "raw" socket communication without HTTP protocol?
In general JSON-RPC is transport independent.
Unfortunately this link for protocol 2.0 in
http://json-rpc.org/wiki/specification is not working recently, but
they described both versions.
As I wrote in my previous email I will make HTTP too if you like. In
fact HTTP request may be very useful in some cases (like external web
interface).
Now it is all about to add some specific code in some places and HTTP
version can be compiled with just a define flag added.
Most of code is common anyway.
If you look on files I send there are some ifdefs for HTTP, but I
haven't finished it yet, so I removed for now option for configure
script to enable HTTP version as well.

>> BTW, I tested it on linux only. I hope some buildbreak won't come on
>> other platforms, but I left it as disabled by default.
>
> OK
> Please check tabs and trailing spaces.

I attached cleaned patch. I'm sorry for sending patch with tabs and
whitespace errors :)

Best Regards,
Lukasz Marek