[vlc-devel] [RFC] httpd: fix multiple hosts handling

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Sep 25 16:54:25 CEST 2011

Le dimanche 25 septembre 2011 17:41:22 Pierre Ynard, vous avez écrit :
> The point?? Well it makes the httpd work. Without the bugs, without
> the trimmed down and then half-implemented features. I'm sorry but my
> code works better than the old one, even better than your own. What we
> really reuse is server addresses, not host names, so I'm moving the
> data structures where they belong. Besides, having a list instead of a
> pointer is hardly a level of indirection.

You do add a level of indirection to registering and unregistering URL
callbacks.

> > Sure it makes the accept code simpler, but overall it adds more
> > complexity than it removes. And I still don't see the point of binding
> > a single VLC process to different IP addresses.
>
> Then consider supporting different IP addresses as an added bonus you
> get for supporting different ports, which we really want and whose point
> I explained and you didn't rebut.

That's the thing. You don't need even half of that extra complexity to deal
with custom port numbers only. It's all for IP addresses.

Though I still have not seen any use of port multiple numbers in a single
instance that could not be addressed with a single port and multiple paths.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis