[vlc-devel] [RFC] httpd: fix multiple hosts handling

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Sun Sep 25 16:41:22 CEST 2011

> Leaving aside the deliberate cosmetic errors, I don't see the point
> of adding another level of indirection.

The point?? Well it makes the httpd work. Without the bugs, without
the trimmed down and then half-implemented features. I'm sorry but my
code works better than the old one, even better than your own. What we
really reuse is server addresses, not host names, so I'm moving the
data structures where they belong. Besides, having a list instead of a
pointer is hardly a level of indirection.

> Sure it makes the accept code simpler, but overall it adds more
> complexity than it removes. And I still don't see the point of binding
> a single VLC process to different IP addresses.

Then consider supporting different IP addresses as an added bonus you
get for supporting different ports, which we really want and whose point
I explained and you didn't rebut.

> Besides, I would rather have one thread per active client and one
> thread for all listening sockets, than one thread per listening
> socket. Though that is clearly out of scope at this point.

This approach makes it easier to do that too, since this removes a level
of indirection to access listening sockets, which makes it easy to
iterate on them.

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."