[vlc-devel] drop-late-frames behaviour

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Apr 3 21:07:28 CEST 2012

	Hello,

Le mardi 3 avril 2012 21:36:21 PROMONET Michel, vous avez écrit :
> We use H264 stream with differents GOP, frames rates, and specially low
> frame rates in case of backward streaming. As we are using VLC in a
> plugins, setting ":drop-late-frames=0" is refused (considered as unsafe if
> I read correctly libvlc-module.c), then this setting seems not usable in
> such usage.

Nobody really considered allowing that option in plugins, so it was left
blacklisted. But I don't think it would really fix the problem. In fact, it
tends to make things worse as it can keep the CPU badly overbooked.

> Could you help me to understand how is it is compute ?

I don't know all the details myself. The discard logic proper is in
src/video_output/video_output.c, but the clock synchronization, and buffering
is mostly in src/input/*.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis